Based on years of experience, here’s some of the things I can expect from NaNoWriMo 2016
- 1,000 false starts – I can’t tell you how many times I started a story only for it to crash and burn after chapter 1 ends. This annoys me to no end. When I need to do now is to look up how to prevent a false start and know exactly what I’m going to write about before I write the story.
- a plot that seems to go nowhere – Nothing makes me angrier than when I plan on a story and it doesn’t go anywhere. If you are as annoyed by the plot that doesn’t go anywhere as I am you can do either one or two things: either fix the plot or drop it altogether. If you drop a story plot, don’t feel bad because maybe that part wasn’t meant to be in the story in the first place.
- unnecessary characters – Unnecessary characters are the bane of every story and I have had my share of unnecessary characters. If you have an unnecessary character either give them part in the story where they interact with the main character or kill them off. I already have too many problems writing the story without throwing in a character that takes up space and not does anything.
- irrelevant scenes – I firmly believe that all scenes in a story should be relevant. But if there is an irrelevant scene that doesn’t add anything to the story, take it out immediately. That scene has no place in your story, so don’t even try to make it relevant.
And to make things worse, the following always happens:
- procrastination – I’m guilty of trying to put things off to the next day which results in a word crisis at the last possible minute. I really need to stop this.
- distraction – Nothing annoys me more than being distracted by anything. If you find yourself being distracted by ANYTHING, then invest in a pair of noise cancelling headphones and put a sign on the door to your room or office saying “do not disturb me unless the house is on fire or there is a zombie apocalypse”. Your time is for writing, not getting involved in other activities unless it’s very important or a big emergency, such asCalifornia breaking off from the rest of the Union.
- wanting to write something else other than the project – This annoys me so much because NaNoWriMo is for your project only and you shouldn’t be letting other projects disturb you.
So there you go. I will be back with another blog post