In today’s post, I will be talking about one of the most controversial topic to date: when to abandon a fandom.
As we all know, being a fan of anything (whether it’s books, TV shows, games, movies) can be dangerous and/or hazardous to your health. You spend hours obsessed over that fandom rather than on a thing you really need to do, such as school work. And the worst part about it is that you abandon your real-life friends for all the people that you meet on online forums.
And the worst part about it is, that was me for a very long time.
But now, I have to tell you about how to leave a fandom, especially one that you really love.
If you have wondered to yourself where did the time go and you find yourself whittling away the hours in a fandom when you could be doing something else, you may have a serious problem.
And I am tackling this problem in a story called “Confessions of a FanFiction Writer“, in which a girl who is obsessed with an unpopular fandom must learn to kick her fanfiction obsession to the curb or risk getting a bad grade in her English class. She must also learn to read other books instead of the book that she is obsessed with and to spend more time with other people instead of her imaginary world.
But like Noelle, many of us have this serious problem. We are stuck in our obsessions and we can’t get out. But the good news is this, we don’t have to be.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Stop reading the book that you’re obsessed with.
- Stop writing/reading fan fiction about the book you’re obsessed with.
- Avoid going to the chatrooms or online forums, especially those that deal with the book you’re obsessed with.
- Go back to your school work or other things that you neglected thanks to the fandom you’re obsessed with.
- Read something else.
Abandoning a fandom is not easy, especially if you have friends who are involved in said fandom. If that is the case, then abandon those friends and find some other people who are not obsessed with your preferred fandom.
I’ll get back to you about the book.
- Tumblr is ruled by fandoms, but which fandoms rule the… (staff.tumblr.com)
- Tumblr introduces Fandometrics, a weekly chart for trending fandoms. (brucesterling.tumblr.com)
- Top Ten Most Overrated Fandoms (thetoptens.com)
- These Racebent “Frozen” Characters Are Absolutely Stunning (buzzfeed.com)
- 10 Times War Broke Out Within The Doctor Who Fandom (whatculture.com)
- 7 Kinds of Fans That Ruin Things for the Rest of Us (toplessrobot.com)