The third story is called Harry Potter Sucks; A Novel for those who have had it with the Harry Potter Phenomenon and the Hype that it caused and it was written for NaNoWriMo 2010. In this story, a young boy describes his town’s obsession with Harry Potter and what happened when that obsession led to murder of a high-profile Harry Potter fanatic.
Daniel Dickens (the story’s main protagonist) is an avid reader of anything fantasy-related, but he isn’t a huge fan of Harry Potter (In fact, he never got past the first books). His family doesn’t like Harry Potter and they try to control how many fantasy books are allowed in their house. The city where the Dickens family lives is obsessed with Harry Potter, even to the point of shutting out other books. It doesn’t help much that there were laws made so that only the Harry Potter books were to be read and all other books were to be shut out and forgotten.
Meanwhile, Daniel’s next-door neighbor, an older boy named Adam Wilkins, is being exploited by his foster family by being forced to star in a homemade movie about Harry Potter. Adam’s disappearance leads to rumors about his death and Daniel’s recruitment into the movie. But Daniel’s resistance leads to the entire town to admit its problems and being forced to clean up its act.
Why is the story not finished: I renamed the story as How Harry Potter Ruined My Town last year; plus, the story needs to be re-edited before I can start chapter 13.
My booksand are available on Smashwords.com.
- Phobias in Fiction (readmysummeraway.wordpress.com)
- Young Purist (claudedauphinportraits.wordpress.com)
- More Honest Brand Slogans (neatorama.com)
- An Interview with John Lawson, Author of ‘Sorrow’ (asthepagesturn.wordpress.com)
- Why evangelical mommy bloggers don’t want you to read ‘Harry Potter’ (dailydot.com)
- Can a Man Write a Good Female Character? (readneckreview.wordpress.com)