Hello, and welcome to another week of top 10 in fandom. I hoped that you enjoyed the last list, because let’s face it: women aren’t always good. In fact, some of them are downright evil.
Anyway, this week’s topic is the top 10 plotlines that need to die. This list shall cover all overused plotlines in fan fiction that really need to be retired for good. we’ve seen these plotlines in way too many fics and if I see another fan fiction story with that plotline, I’m going to report the writer of such fic and have then banned from Fan Fiction.Net.
Haven’t you had enough of those?
Anyway, the top 10 plotlines that need to die are as follows:
10. Your favorite character is God and all others must bow down to them: I’ve seen too many stories that center on one character (usually a fan favorite as opposed to the main protagonist) and it just annoys me to death.
9. Slash pairings: I have already covered this in another blog post, but if you see a story that has two male characters in a romantic relationship, hit that back button immediately (and delete it from your browser’s history). In fact, don’t even THINK about reading slash stories.
8. Love Triangles: too many of those exist, especially in Twilight fan fiction. If you’re reading a story that has one, hit the back button immediately.
7. Plot holes that are bigger than the Grand Canyon: do I even have to explain this one? delete that story from your faves right now! (same goes for stories that have bad grammar and lack of spellcheck)
6. Pairings between characters who normally don’t interact with each other: you can’t tell me that you like stories like these, right?
5. Mary-Sues/self-inserts: delete immediately and go straight to the corner of shame. (original characters negotiable)
4. Character bashing: I despise stories that bash a certain character for no reason. what are they trying to do? make them the bad guy? that’s not only immature, it’s BULLYING!
3. “The Last Few Chapters (or a certain storyline) Never Happened”: I’m all for AU fics, but whenever I see a story about a main event in a book that was eliminated because the writer didn’t like the part into story, I hit that back button immediately.
2. Making a certain character “gay”: UGH! I can’t stand those types of stories at all! I mean, what’s so great about making a straight character gay? are you trying to ruin their character or something like that? Same as with #9, if I see any story with that plot, I stop reading it altogether. Don’t pass go, don’t collect $200. Go straight to jail. (same goes for gender-bending. Just don’t even think about it!)
1. abuse fics: I am sick to death of those stories (even if I had written one, but it’s a lot more realistic than what I see others do ). I mean, why would you want to wish abuse on any character? That’s just sick AND wrong. I suggest getting some psychological help immediately. (see #4 for more details)
Well, that’s all for this list, so I suggest a purging of your favorite fan fiction immediately, especially fan fiction that is part of the list. If you find yourself disagreeing with any of the above items for any reason, then let me know in the comments. See you next week for more Top 10 in Fandom!
- The Fun Part of Fandom (gwynnejackson.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Most Underrated Fanfictions from Xandermartin98 (thetoptens.com)
- Writing in Character (Even If They Aren’t Your Own) (rachaelcmarek.com)
- Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer (adventuresinvanaheim.wordpress.com)
- The Adult Women Who Love One Direction Slash Fanfiction (huffingtonpost.com)
- Franzen, Feminism & Fanfic (fozmeadows.wordpress.com)