Hello, and welcome to another week of top 10 in fandom. I hoped that you enjoyed the last week’s list, even if you didn’t agree with the topic at hand.
This week’s topic is the top 10 tropes in fan fiction that we really need to stop using, as it’s too overused to begin with. I will admit to using some of these tropes during my years as a Harry Potter fan fiction writer, and because of that, my original writing suffered terribly. (I promise to never again mix fan fiction and original writing)
And the top 10 tropes in fan fiction that really need to die are as follows:
10. Alternate Universe Fic: I’m sure that Count Omer doesn’t approve of this, as stated in his controversial fan fiction essay.
9. Better Than Canon: Just because you don’t like the canon doesn’t give you much right to change it up to suit your own selfish purposes, you know. (This also leads to Canon Defilement, Fan-Preferred Couple, Fix Fic, and even the dreaded Slash Fic.)
8. Crossover: Ah, the wonderful thing known as the crossover (which is one of my favorite tropes to date). But too many people have overused this trope to suit their strange fantasies, which is why it has to go. (See Rule 50)
7. Don’t Like, Don’t Read: If you don’t want people to read your works because they might not like it, then don’t write it. It’s as simple as that.
6. Fix-(It) Fic: Well, you might not like a certain part of the story and you want to fix it. Don’t, OK. Just don’t.
4. Original Character: (yeah, I’m mega-guilty of this one!) I have nothing to say about this one, save for put them in their own story!
3. Out of Character: Don’t even get me started on this one!
2. Rule 63: This has lead to too many messed-up fics. If you want to do this one, I suggest that you reconsider immediately. (Also goes along the lines of Gender Flip and Gender Bender)
1. Self-Insert Fic: (I’ve also done this one) Please, for the love of God, please don’t put yourself into the story! Just don’t do it at all! It makes you look weird, like you have no life at all. Come on now, people!
Well, that’s all for this list. If you find yourself disagreeing with any of the above items for any reason, then let me know in the comments. See you next week for more Top 10 in Fandom!
- Sexualized Saturdays: Femslash and Fandom (ladygeekgirl.wordpress.com)
- Shipping Is A Verb (arthurcdoyle.wordpress.com)
- Competing Fandoms: Or, why I am not a Whovian or Harry Potter fan, and never will be (but that’s ok). (sourcererblog.wordpress.com)
- 12 Happy Accidents that Helped Save Science Fiction (io9.com)
- Fandoms (gbatemp.net)
- Fandoms, the Internet, and Harry Potter (tech.mit.edu)
- The thing with fandom, the fourth wall, and the media. (grummelmaedchen.wordpress.com)